Specify the language when creating an entity

For now when an entity is created, the first supported language is selected. It would be great to be able to select a language when creating an entity : “Create this entity in es-ES”

@developpement couldn’t you add another locale and delete the first one? Normally one has a “main” language, so pre-creating the first locale makes sense to me most of the time?

What’s your use case for this?

Our situation is that we have several editors with different mother tongues. datocms however has only one global main language.

The usecase where a per-item main language makes sense are translation plugins (yandex and deepl). They translate from the global main-language to the other languages. If we have three languages, English, Italian, German, then the first language (English) is the main language in dato.
So the plugins always translate from English to other languages. To have an original text in italian or german which should be translated is not intended and therefore not possible.

One possibility for us would be to select the original language with a dropdown in the content, then to give the translation plugin not the main-lang from dato, but the selected original language.
… or datoCMS will be extended and offers the possibility to select the original language already when creating a new item :slight_smile:

i choose the plugin way to fix our problems :slight_smile:

1 Like

From our perspective, this feature would also be highly appreciated. It would be particularly useful when creating new records within a specific language context. Let’s assume English is the primary language and German is the secondary language. I create a new page, open the German language version, and delete the English language version. Now, on this page, there is a link field that allows me to select existing records or create new ones. If I choose from existing records, they would be filtered based on the current language context (German). However, if I want to create a new linked record, it would be primarily created in English. Wouldn’t it be more consistent if the language context were also considered when creating a new record?