Use of client.webhookCalls

I could use some guidance on how to use the client.webhookCalls API as documented at: List all webhooks calls - Webhook call - Content Management API

First, if I call buildClient with the environment property, it does not seem to get applied when I call webhookCalls.list() or webhookCalls.rawList(). Is that expected? Is it because webhooks arenā€™t specific to environments (generally speaking) and thus their artifacts and history arenā€™t either?

Second, in the Pagination docs (Pagination ā€” DatoCMS), I see an example of passing page[limit] and page[offset] via curl but not via js/ts using listPagedIterator, which is what I think I need to use. What does an example of that look like?

Third, is the filter example as shown in the Pagination docs generally applicable for client.webhookCalls.listPagedIterator()? Can I pass multiple filter criteria? Examples of that?

In general, API access to the webhook call history is underdocumented. Another example of that is that I had to figure out on my own that the ā€œfull accessā€ API token must be used. It would be helpful if that documentation could be fleshed out with examples, a list of all the functions and options to the functions on the client.webhookCalls object, etc.

Many thanks.

Another issueā€¦ Iā€™m trying to pass a filter to listPagedIterator. I only want webhook calls for a specific environment.

for await (const webhookCall of client.webhookCalls.listPagedIterator({ filter: { request_payload: { environment: 'development' }}})) {
  console.log(webhookCall);
}

The call works - no syntax errors, etc. But the filter isnā€™t working. Hereā€™s a snippet of the first webhook call thatā€™s returned:

{
  id: '99999999',
  type: 'webhook_call',
  request_url: 'https://my.app.url/webhook/v1/endpoint',
  request_payload: '{\n' +
    '  "environment": "primary-2023-10-19",\n' +   <== WRONG
    '  "entity_type": "item",\n' +
    '  "event_type": "create",\n' +

Note that the request_payload.environment property does not match ā€œdevelopmentā€.

To investigate further, I simplified the filter, closer to the example on the ā€œPaginationā€ docs:

for await (const webhookCall of client.webhookCalls.listPagedIterator({ filter: { type: 'NOT-webhook_call' }})) {

That still returns the type: 'webhook_call' entries. I would expect with that filter that nothing would be returned from webhookCalls.listPagedIterator(), but itā€™s still returning entries.

Is filter not implemented for webhookCalls.listPagedIterator()? How about the page[limit] and page[offset] options?

I could really use some guidance. Iā€™m sort of stuck on how to proceed.

Thanks.

Hi @donnie.hale,

Sorry for the confusion here! Iā€™ll try to answer your questions one by oneā€¦

• Webhooks are project-wide, but they can be limited to a specific environment as a trigger condition

• Webhook calls, both via the API or when you manually look at them in the UI (under ā€œWebhooks activityā€, https://yourproje.admin.datocms.com/project_settings/webhook_calls), should show an environment property. Sorry, this was an error in our CMA docs that Iā€™ll update shortly!

• For pagination, please see List all records - Record - Content Management API under the ā€œFetching all pagesā€ header for a better example. (Basically, you start with an empty array and use the iterator to push to it one entry at a time). Iā€™ll also update the Pagination docs page with a better example.

• Sorry, the webcallCalls endpoint/JS method doesnā€™t support server-side filtering. You can filter it clientside after downloading all of them, with something like:

const filteredHooks = webhooks.filter(hook => {
            const payload = JSON.parse(hook.request_payload);
            return payload['environment'] === 'main'
        })

In general, API access to the webhook call history is underdocumented

Yes, sorry, this is something weā€™re working through as quickly as we can! We just overhauled the records section recently, and are working our way down the list. Some of it is auto-generated (like the accepted query parameters), so you can look at that part. But weā€™re trying to add better examples across the board to make it all clearer.

In the meantime, if you ever have a question about something, please feel free to ask and weā€™ll prioritize answering you :slight_smile: (I know you shouldnā€™t have to do this, and hopefully soon you wonā€™t, once we can refresh all the docs!)

Yes, unfortunately, that particular endpoint doesnā€™t support serverside filtering :frowning:

You can see what it does support under ā€œQuery parametersā€:

(like offset/limit, under page)

That applies to list(), but listPagedIterator() will get you everything, even if you pass it a page parameter ā€“ I think that part is a bug (it shouldnā€™t accept those query parameters because they do nothing). Iā€™ll report it.

TLDR to put this all together, this is how you filter webhook calls by environment:

const webhookCalls = await client.webhookCalls.listPagedIterator();

let allCalls = []

for await (const webhookCall of webhookCalls) {
    allCalls.push(webhookCall);
}

const filteredCalls = allCalls.filter(call => {
    const payload = JSON.parse(call.request_payload);
    return payload['environment'] === 'main'
})

console.log(`There are ${allCalls.length} calls total, and ${filteredCalls.length} of those match the environment.`);
// Returns "There are 4 calls total, and 2 of those match the environment."

Sorry again for the confusion here. Weā€™ll update the docs as soon as we can.

Thanks for the reply. Iā€™ve ended up figuring out much of the above and handling client-side filtering much as you suggested.

Better docs would be great. Enhanced functionality would be better (e.g. server-side filtering). :wink:

But Iā€™m happy to have an API to this at all, so thanks for that.

1 Like