Pricing model for Core

What is the idea here though? You guys canā€™t keep just keep giving existing users the former plan. At some point that has to stop and the new tier will become the standard, so that approach has a lifespan, and while it keeps users happy in this thread itā€™s not really dealing with it. As much as it pains me, a boycott is on the horizon.

@nicos yes, the plan is to keep the former conditions (e.g. Core plan) to former users. No catch here.

Everyone that was a user before is free to use the former plans on every project, old and new, and also on new accounts, you just need to get in touch with support.

As we said multiple times we are experimenting with this at the moment, so we might change our mind and add back the Core plan (or something similar).

Meanwhile we donā€™t want to cause issues to anyone. Breaking the trust that we earned with our customers is the stupidest thing we can do, so while we try to change things to improve the business, we try to change as little as possible for existing users. In this instance I argue that we didnā€™t change anything at all for you, or do you feel something different?

Iā€™m not debating if things have changed for me. Iā€™m speaking on behalf of the new users and additionally for those who donā€™t come on this thread or care to contact support. More and more developers are adopting a headless approach, Iā€™ve recommended many developers to this system and this new pricing model is egg in the face to those folk especially if they are coming from multilingual nations. The price jump was not small.

Please donā€™t take this as an attack, I care deeply for what DatoCMS and your small team is doing at the same time achieving but as a customer, someone active in this tiny community and being well versed in this nexus itā€™s important you hear all sides and thoughts then from here make your executives.

This thread communicates the distaste for the pricing changes, the solution and approach to silence that is a digital variation of nepotistic handling and I say this in the sense that existing customers (those who have an existing relationship with this system) are now being treated different to the new customers who will take these pricing models as the standards.

It should be clear by now that changing the pricing model was not thought through well enough and you guys had clear negative feedback weeks before the email went to users informing them of the price changes.

1 Like

@nicos I appreciate your words and the time you are taking to express your thoughs here.

We are thinking about different approaches to allow a smoother way in for developers, like proposing 5 smaller plans (something like the Core of before) at the same price point of the Professional plan that we have now.

Unfortunately we wonā€™t be able anymore to manage the selling of a single Core plan as itā€™s completely unsustainable in the long run for a small company like ours in terms of support, accounting and infrastructure.

So if you are a hobbist you will be using the free plan, and if you are using DatoCMS as a work tool we assume youā€™ll be able to spend ā‚¬99/month for 5 projects, basically bringing down the price of a single project to what was before.

We need to change a substantial part of our billing to do that, so Iā€™m not sure when it will come, but that is going to be the solution that we propose to what you are mentioning. By the way the new plan will be bigger than the Core plan that we have now :slight_smile:

As a side note, can you articulate on what is a ā€œdigital variation of nepotistic handlingā€? Honestly I donā€™t have a clue on what it means.

2 Likes

Grat product :frowning:ā€¦

I think the free plan is awesome for a landing page ā€¦Probablyā€¦

But for a blog or a serious portfolio !?.. NO! :slight_smile: ā€¦

So what should i do?? Should mind my own business and move on right ā€¦?!

My case would be: Iā€™m a consultant dev for this architecture company and they want a blazing fast website with great images and great SEO / contentā€¦ But no one would pay 99$/month for a portfolio/blog.

Soā€¦back to WordPress :(?

Hello @dev.test.shr sorry but for now we donā€™t have an alternative Core plan. We might do in the future but not yet :frowning:

Meanwhile we have an Agency offer that you can request here: Support page

Hello!

Can you explain to me because iā€™m not sure if i understand, Dato CMS Free Plan quota is fixed or monthly based ( like it resets monthly to 0 ) ?

Thank you!!!

hello @dev.test.shr itā€™s a monthly quota, so it resets monthly! :slight_smile:

Hello,

to anyone still interested in this thread, Iā€™ve just opened a new one here:

To announce the new pricing that took on board some of your feedbacks from here and elsewere. Again, for any feedbacks we are here for you :slight_smile: