Uploads via createUpload is crazy slow

@tim1,

Iā€™m so sorry I missed this (and your other thread, which Iā€™ll dig back into momentarily!). I was out sick for a bit and they completely fell through the cracksā€¦ my apologies there!

To clarify this situation, when you specify a remote URL, we do not actually fetch it from that remote URL directly to our servers. The JS client actually downloads it to a temp file on your own computer, and then reuploads it DatoCMS over your connection. So the ā€œtransferā€ speed will be bottlenecked by your home internetā€™s upload speed. I know this is not ideal :frowning: I was surprised when I first discovered that too.

I think @nrothā€™s feature request is a good one: Native Upload from Image URL Support

In the meantime, I think the only way you could speed it up is by using some other server (or maybe a serverless function) in the middle, with its own fast internet connection, that will download a remote image, cache it locally (in memory or on disk) and then reupload it to Dato. Yeah, itā€™s a pain, sorry about that :frowning: I would also like to see a server-to-server fetch where you can just provide a URL and our servers grab it directly. That would be much simpler for all involved. I hope that feature request gets some traction!