By the way, is it absolutely necessary to include a width and DPR and fit for these videos? It seems like not forcing a resize (just using https://www.datocms-assets.com/53444/1733259443-new-modal-test-improvements-in-measure-mode.gif?auto=compress,format) makes the operation go somewhat faster and not time out. Could that work too?
I spoke to Imgix, and unfortunately their answer is basically what I said above:
- Big enough animated GIFs (i.e. large animated screenshots will always risk timeouts, if they are big enough)
- You can reduce the possibility of timeouts by not forcing a resize (i.e., don’t include
fit,w, ordprat all and just useauto=format,compress) - You can also just serve the original asset at full size with NO parameters at all, then it won’t go through the transformations and risk a timeout
For this use case though, I still believe a video might be more appropriate? I think it will be higher-quality, use less bandwidth, and start loading sooner. Want to consider that? Happy to look into the implementation with you, if that would help?
That are good suggestions, thank you for your time.
I also think that opting for a video would be better in this case.