Nested Blocks

In my case I’d be more interested in a “repeater” within a modular content field for cases like the above - image galleries, content columns etc.

@anthonysapp isn’t a repeater just a modular field but with only one type of block?

1 Like

Yes. I guess my meaning was if there was hesitation to add the modular block within a modular block, I’d be okay with a simpler repeater.

I very much agree re: repeater fields, my ultimate version of this would be to see it as an option on all the basic field types, where checking “repeatable” would make it in to an array of that type, in the response

1 Like

I upvote repeater fields! Basically how ACF PRO for WordPress works or Section Blocks in Shopify

2 Likes

Just a small note on the “repeater field”. While I agree that would be handier to have the repeater option in the field you can use the modular block with one single field inside and it won’t count against your number of models. So while it’s slightly more complex there isn’t any additional cost in doing that. But we see the point of that.

Just a small note on the “repeater field”. While I agree that would be handier to have the repeater option in the field you can use the modular block with one single field inside and it won’t count against your number of models. So while it’s slightly more complex there isn’t any additional cost in doing that. But we see the point of that.

@matjack1 that’s fine for top level models, but you can’t use modular content within other modular content types :frowning:

1 Like

true @sbc3 that only applies on “repeater fields” in general, the nested modular content problem remains

The feature request for nested modular content is dated Feb, is this accepted as a roadmap feature, is there a milestone date for implementation?

@ItsLeeOwen we agree that this feature is useful, but it’s not yet in the roadmap, sorry: https://github.com/datocms/product-roadmap/projects/2

Nested Modular Fields would be quite important for realizing Layouts for our Customers and their Editrs. We simply can’t sell them pure Json Fields for that matter.

Dear @matjack1 please put the nested feature on the roadmap. It is a key feature in many traditionell CMS. You can take any Wordpress Page builder for example (it is possible to nest sections, rows, content block). For us it gets quite hard to sell your really great CMS to a customer without this feature.

If a customer wants to build complex layouts for a webpage, this feature is necessary, otherwise the developer hast to build an enormous amount of content blocs. It is not really an option to use models for more flexibility, because it gets confusing very fast. (Where can i edit the content for this page, just go to this module and to this module and then to this module, we got very bad customer feedback for this solution in the past)

I don’t want to say the the following Headless CMS Systems are better, but they have this feature implemented quite well. Prismic or Flamelink

So it would be great to hear from you. Thanks and keep on the good work.

1 Like

thank you @digitalwert-developer we know this is a quite important feature, but it involves many changes at the moment. We’ll surely consider this for the next iteration of development, but until November-ish we’ll stick to our current roadmap: https://www.datocms.com/blog/what-happened-in-last-three-months#future-plans

We’ll really consider this in the near future but we already have other features that are highly requested in the pipeline: https://github.com/datocms/product-roadmap/projects/2

We know how much this is important for editors though, it’s just that we need to find a balance in introducing the right features both for you and for our internal development. This is high on the list anyway, hopefully we’ll be in touch soon!

1 Like

Just to insure this does not go stale. I would nearly give a kindney to have this feature :smile:

2 Likes

What @shannon says - This would be a tremendous feature to add to the project and a much much better end user experience.

1 Like

@simon and @shannon we know that this feature it’s very important to many of you.

Unfortunately this is a complex task that would affect many areas of our codebase, as you can imagine, and we cannot take this right now.

In our latest blog post: https://www.datocms.com/blog/retrospective-what-happened-in-q4-2019-future-plans we mention our roadmap for the near future.

Mainly we are keeping things simple as we are in a phase of company changes (setting up a new company, hiring a new dev) which force us to be cautious about the next few months.

But then, once we are all settled and the team a bit grown, we’ll surely tackle this one!

We are very sorry, but we hear your voices, we’ll get back to this task and be in touch.

1 Like

Yikes, sounds like we may need to stick with WP + ACF for headless for the time being then.

if nested modular fields are a must I’m afraid yes :frowning:

This is one feature that I really miss in DatoCMS. :heavy_plus_sign:
Especially when it comes to accordions and columns of lists.

2 Likes

It’s certainly understandable that this is a difficult feature to build, but I’m glad to add another +1 if it matters. I’m heading up a project whose architecture would be massively simplified by allowing modular content nesting. This would be a great “Long term” win!

1 Like